Monday, March 26, 2012

A kinda sorta tutorial on how to make an Easter Card (any card)

FINALLY!!!! This might become known as the post that just didn't want to be.
That doesn't matter now though, because here it is!!

Every project needs a 'canvas' if you will. Cards are no different. 
Without the canvas, or in this case, the card base...what would we have?
 I GENERALLY use premade card bases. 
I believe some of the St. Patrick's Day cards were made with 'homemade' card bases.
I'm picky about the FEEL of my cards. I have purchased premade cards at stores or yard sales and gotten them home and been all sorts of disappointed when the feel just isn't right! Don't worry! Those cards aren't wasted, they go in the "scrap drawer(s)!" These cards still have a purpose in my craft space, just not as a card! It is kinda like putting the broken toys on the shelf - the 'they just don't feel right' cards go in the drawer.

So, pick a base. I have a couple different places that I shop that sell "just right" cards.
I am going to do another post on all the different sorts of "just right" cards sitting on my shelf.
Here are a couple.


 The lavender card on the right came out of the pastel pack on the left.

Let's gather some other basic supplies shall we?


 The embosser isn't necessary, but it was used in the making of these cards.
I also have numerous scissors. Big ones, little ones, decorative ones...all of them missing when needed, but I have them none the less! I would suggest a standard size pair and then a smaller pair for smaller cuts.
Using a black or brown ink pad and colored pencils helps with taking the minimalist approach.
There are many ways to get all that beautiful color on your cards.
I suggest starting simple. Colored pencils are great, and I love to color!!!!!!
I do use the watercolor pencils and a blender. This does affect the final result. 
I've moved on to this step. If you are just starting, get the black ink pad and the colored pencils.
Get comfortable with basic steps before changing it up.
I love learning new things (and am going to do my best to share things like that on here) but I didn't start trying new things until I was comfortable with some basics. You will know when it is time. You will also be able to see the changes and advancements in your own work and it is REALLY COOL when someone else mentions they have noticed you getting better.  *it will happen*


 We also need some additional cardstock, some ribbon and not needed but used in this card, little ink pads.
The little ink pads were something I had seen others using. I, of course, wanted to try them out.
All of them were either purchased on sale or with a coupon, OR BOTH!!! I'm stingy like that!

Do you want to stamp first or cut first? Hmm, let's cut first!
The lavender card base measures 4inches by 6 inches.
We need a mat 3 3/4 inches by 5 3/4 inches.
I cut a bunch at one time and put the ones that weren't the needed size in a pile all their own. 
They will be used for something else.


If you aren't embossing then you can skip this step, if you are embossing this what I did.
I took the 3 3/4 x 5 3/4 paper and ran it through the embosser.


Since I have a Cricut I didn't get an embosser that also functions as a die cutter.
The embosser without the capability of cutting is much cheaper.
Decide what your main purpose is, do some research, find a coupon and head to the store!

Let's stamp now, shall we?


I was making a bunch of cards at one time, so I stamped a bunch of images at one time.
The left picture is the plain stamped image. It is called the Resurrection Cross and is by Stampabilities.
The middle picture shows different stages of the coloring process.
The picture on the right is all images completely colored.

Time to cut again!
If you are a perfectionist, then you pick your own way and please don't judge because I'm not.
I like how different the cards can look when this one gets cut just a little different than that one.
Cut all the images out leaving however much space YOU desire on all sides. 



 Not necessary, but I inked the edges of this paper.
I think it adds some dimension to MOST projects.
Hmmmm, it looks like we forgot to get adhesive when we were gathering supplies!
Use the adhesive to stick the colored image onto the yellow paper.
and.... time to cut again.... 


Adhere the stamped image to the yellow paper.
Cut the yellow paper leaving your desired border on all sides.

Another thing I did (not necessary, but what I did)
 is use the little ink pad to give the embossed paper some color.
Just brush it across the paper.

Now we are going to cut and adhere some ribbon AND adhere the stamped image to the embossed layer
and then adhere all that to the canvas/card base!

I cut my ribbon a little longer than the width of the cardstock.
Turn the cardstock over and put a couple short runs of the adhesive and stick the ribbon to it.

Then adhere your stamped image to the embossed layer and the embossed layer to the card.

I used the smaller adhesive for the layers. To adhere all layers to the card base I used the bigger adhesive gun thing because it has stronger adhesive.


Stamping the inside is personal preference.
I (generally) cut another sheet of card stock to go on the inside.
I think it helps give it more a finished look.
Sometimes I use a mat or two for the inside sentiment, other times I just stamp right on the card stock.

SamIAm...thanks so much for asking a question and giving me a reason to use my brain in a different way.
I have learned from this post. Things to do different/better next time.
It has also made me think about the products I use and the steps I take.
I guess you brought out the teacher in me and for that I am grateful.
I am going to work on some other posts in a similar fashion.

Questions, comments, things you would like to see?
Maybe we can all learn together.

Some topics I'm thinking of
1. a little more on my 'just right' cards.
2. using a blender pen
3. adhesives

Thanks for being patient Everyone!!!
Are you getting ready for Easter?
~hugs, jen~
partying here:

The Taylor House


Pink Hippo Party





michellepaige

5 comments:

  1. Outstanding tutorial!!! Very informative and you add sooo much excitement in your work... Love the cards too! Hugs, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful cards! Love your step by step directions! Would you be willing to link this up to my Springtime Holiday Link Party going on now? I'd love to have you! Thanks, Michelle
    http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/02/springtime-holiday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, Jen! This is great because I've thought about making cards before, but always feel intimidated because I don't know where to begin. Your cards turned out beautiful, too! Thanks!!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great job on those cards. You have a great blog and I am a new follower on GFC and Linky. I would love it you could visit my blog and link up to my party at http://www.arosiesweethome.com/2012/03/sunday-round-up-2.html
    I'm also hosting a photo challenge @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/2012/03/picture-is-worth-thousand-words-photo.html It will be a lot of fun.
    I hope you come
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really beautiful, and I love that it represents the true meaning of Easter. (I'm a little tired of bunnies :)... I'm glad I found your blog at The Shady Porch party. I'm a new follower too, so I can keep in touch. I would love if you stopped by and followed back on LF and GFC. Nice to meet you, Lori

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...