Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cucumber Sauce Recipe

Hi All!! I hope you are safe and dry where you and yours are. The remnants of Isaac are making their way into Western Pennsylvania as I type. The rest of our Labor Day weekend is looking like a wash out. Kinda sounds like a good couple days to get something done in the craft space, doesn't it? I hope so! I have a couple Cartridges laying here trying to decide where I want to start!!! I can't wait!!!

Today I am sharing with you a recipe for cucumber sauce or Tzatziki. We have a hot dog shop not far from us that also serves some Greek dishes. This tzatkiki sauce comes with a couple of the dishes and is D-E-L-I-S-H.  We've been wanting to try our hand at it and I FINALLY remembered to buy the Greek Yogurt so we could give it a shot! This is a common sauce for souvlaki or gyros.

I did some reading and looking and more reading and more looking. It can be made with regular yogurt, but the yogurt will need strained. Everyone has variations to how they make it.


 

Looks pretty tasty huh???

Here's what I did.
...and when I do it over again, I will only make half of this recipe...
Hey! It is just the two of us!


3 cups Greek Yogurt 
(if you are going to use regular yogurt, please spend some time with your best friend "Google"
Juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove, chopped (garlic powder will work)
2 medium cucumbers, seeded and diced
1 Tablespoon kosher salt (for salting the cucumbers to help draw out some more liquid)
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Salt and Pepper to taste

Peel the cucumbers, use a spoon to scrape out the seeds.
I can't show you a picture of this part because I was using cucumbers that were leftover from making
refrigerator pickles. Anywho...
Slice the cucumbers into a colander and sprinkle the 1 tablespoon salt on to the cucumbers.
Let the cucumbers sit 15-30 minutes to draw out water. Drain the cucumbers.


In your food processor, add the cucumbers, garlic, lemon juice and dill and process until well blended!
Stir this mixture into your yogurt. Add additional salt and pepper for your taste.
Refrigerate for a couple hours so the flavors can marry!
Ours only refrigerated for an hour. It was good, but it was WAY WAY WAY better the next day!


We grilled up some chicken that had marinated in Italian dressing and some garden fresh onions and misc. peppers. This made a great dipping sauce. It also made me wish for a pita, that would have made it perfect.
This will keep in your fridge for a few days.
Some liquid will separate from the sauce and I would drain that liquid off and then stir your sauce back together.

I hope you enjoy! Have a great rest of the weekend and thanks so much for stopping by!!!
hugs
Jen

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Jen!!

    I signed up to follow you as well!! We Pennsylvanians have to stick together. Right? I see you are in Sharon, Pa. I am in Wilkes Barre, Pa. We have the Baby Penguins here and the arena where they play is 5 minutes from our house. Are you hockey fans? We have season tickets to the AHL games here. My Hubby is a big Steeler fan too.The rain hasn't made it's way here yet but I wish it would as my garden needs a watering. A lot of my flowers are starting to die off as it is the end of the season.
    I hope you have a good rest of the weekend even though it will be raining...

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sauce looks so tasty. I bet it would be delish on a chicken pita too. Thanks for stopping by Posed Perfection today and leaving me a sweet note about the wristlet. Thanks for the follow too. Have a great time crafting this weekend!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...