Tuesday, April 10, 2012

When life hands you lemons...part 1

If you are reading this, that means you survived Easter!  I am sure that was easier for some of us than it was for others.

I came home from the grocery store on Friday with not one, but two bags of lemons. Farm Girl Sam had a post the other day about an English lemon cake. It got me thinking about a lemon pound cake. Lemon this, lemon that. In this post I am sharing a lemon curd. It is yummy yummy!


I came home with two bags of lemons based on the number of lemons needed for the lemon cake


The lemon curd recipe starts out:
Using a carrot peeler, remove zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith.


Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into sugar.

It smelled delightful at this point. I told Jim I was taking it into the bathroom to use as a facial scrub.
He looked at me.
I didn't use it as a facial scrub.


the step that there isn't a picture of:
Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture.
Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt.
Mix until combined.
Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened.


Cooking about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.(we shared the stirring duties) The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F
or just below simmer. Remove from heat and cool or refrigerate.


Isn't it beautiful?
The house smelled so lemony fresh.
I am sure it would be great on toast, but my Step-Mom left us some homemade rolls and I have been having my curd on the rolls. I guess I will test the toast theory out when the rolls are gone.
The recipe is from Ina Garten on the Food Network.
I love love love most of her recipes.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3 lemons
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 4 extra-large eggs
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.
Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add thelemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.
Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer. Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.
I would love to hear from you if you try it!
Tell us your story on our Facebook page!!!
I hope to see you all soon!!! Next up is the lemon cake recipe!

2 comments:

  1. I have to try this Jen..LOVE lemons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thanks for mentioning me on your blog! You guys are so sweet and I'm so glad I've met you! I have never made lemon curd and I've heard of it and it sounds YUMMO! I have got to make it but my food processor bit the dust a while back and I haven't replaced it yet but looks like I'll need to. I too LOVE Ina.....I don't have access to the food network show anymore but I can still get to their website! LOL! Have you ever tried her Rosemary cashews? They are very easy and a nice change for a snack for you or guests...that woman has never made a bad meal, I'm sure. I have to go order my food processor now so I can make lemon curd! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...