Monday, December 17, 2012

Moon Pie Magic #2

Hello Dear Followers!
I apologize for the lack of posts last week. Just some craziness going on. I will hopefully get caught up on the Christmas posts this week, in between more craziness, but I will manage. I hope life is a crazy good for you!

Moon Pie Magic #2. Kinda crazy. I know it will  be much crazier when that number is in the double digits though. I told you I thought #2 would come from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. My thoughts were correct.

Here is a look at the cover.


Copyright 1963 by General Mills
This cookbook was used by my Great Aunt while she was taking care of her father.
(There is a note in the front stating so)
Did you notice the spelling??


This is the note on the back side of the title page.
The last sentence says "Remembering the motto "happy the home with the fully cooky jar," we hope you'll turn to this book often."

Do you always have a full cooky jar or at least cookies at the ready?
I know Jim's Grands always have cookies in the freezer.


A look at the table of contents.
The Cooky Primer has lots of hints, tips and how to's.
You can even find solutions for dry and soft cooky dough.

The following hint is from page 19:

"Sticky fruits can be cleaned from your food grinder quickly and easily by running a few small pieces of dry bread through it."

That nifty tip was found on the page with the some filled cooky recipes.

I think we will see more than one post from this book so I didn't take  a lot of pictures or search for all the cool tips and tricks.


The recipe we are going to look at today is on the right hand page in the above photo.
Do you see my Great Great Aunt's handwritten notes??
Again... LOVE THEM!


Yes, we are going to make chocolate crinkles.
That is them pictured in the lower right hand corner!

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Crinkles
1/2 cup vegetable oil (we use canola)
4 squares unsweetened chocolate (4 ounces)
(I tried to get a picture, but dreary days and poor lighting worked against us)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups Gold Medal Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup confectioners' sugar

Mix oil, chocolate, and granulated sugar. Blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla. Measure flour by dipping method (p.5) or by sifting. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt into oil mixture. Chill several hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 350°. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into confectioners' sugar. Roll in sugar; shape into balls. Place about 2" apart on greased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 min. Do not overbake! Makes about 6 doz. cookies.

Note: If you use Gold Medal Self-Rising Flour, omit baking powder, and salt.


4 ounces of chocolate...melted.
My Great Great Aunt's notes:

"Looks just like picture. REALLY YUMMY!"
"Make small don't spread much"
Don't roll in xx sugar until the instant they go in oven.
Roll twice.

Let's take a look at some of the book shall we?


Look at those spreads.
This furthers my love affair with most things vintage!


Pretty and fun and yes those are the chocolate crinkles in the lower right!



The back cover.
I look forward to sharing more from this book.
Definitely some fun and interesting looking recipes and tidbits inside!

Wait what???
You are upset because I didn't show you how the cookies turned out?
I didn't forget, I saved that picture for last!!



THEY ARE DELISH!
I wish you lived closer and we could share them.

If you missed MPMM #1 you can read it HERE

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you will leave some comment love so I know you were here!
Do you make chocolate crinkles as part of your Christmas cooky list?
Do you call them something else?

Oh, I am going to research the spelling of cooky!

Hugs!!!
~Jen

3 comments:

  1. How nice that your Great Great Aunt wrote in the book and now you get to read her advice on making the cookies..That makes the book even more special..About the word COOKY..I remember that spelling way back..It was used for the singular and cookies was the plural..Now they are both spelled COOKIE/COOKIES..You hardly ever see the old spelling unless it is on something vintage like your book..I wish I lived closer too so I could enjoy those cookies with you..Take care..Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm!!! I wish I was there to taste test! Around here I make Snickerdoodles at Christmas, and my Daughter is fond of the famous Spritz cookies. She says it isn't Christmas without them. Have a Merry Christmas! XOXO, Darlene

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...