Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The first of MANY family recipes

Thanksgiving is almost here! Are you all ready or do you need to make one more trip to the store? I am making one more trip a little later tonight and then hopefully I won't need to go back for a few days!

Awhile back I received not one, but TWO 35 pound boxes from the UPS Man! He carried them both to the house at the same time! I thanked him A LOT!!! He told me someone knew how to pack! I told him what was in the boxes and he said "I'm glad I didn't lose these two. These boxes are filled with treasures!" Yep! TWO boxes FULL OF TREASURES!!!!!


Box One


Box Two

TWO BOXES full of recipes. Recipes from my Great Great Grandmother, Great Grandmother, Great Great Aunt and Great Aunt. The boxes were sent to me by my Great Aunt.
There are some AMAZING AMAZING things in these boxes.
The boxes have been emptied and thrown away.
Most of the cookbooks have been given homes around the house.
There are some that need me to make a trip to Staples or another such store and buy some plastic sleeves.
There are others that are sitting in a pile because I am just not sure what to do.

There are cookbooks galore! One was published in 1890!! LOVE IT!
There are handwritten recipes...from my Great Great Grandmother.
Her handwriting was BEAUTIFUL!

In the second picture you can see a box in the lower right hand corner.
Yep, a recipe box. Plenty of handwritten recipes there!
That isn't the only place one will find handwritten recipes.
The most recent place I found a handwritten recipe was on the inside cover of a cookbook.

There will be many posts coming from these boxes of treasures.
There is also some discussion to be had about these boxes of treasures, and I think I am going to make that a post all it's own.

The first recipe I am going to share with you is a hot dog sauce recipe.
The recipe is titled "Texas Hot Sauce"
I suppose the hot is all in the eye of the beholder!

This was a family recipe that came from a hot dog shop that is no longer open.


You will need:

2 pounds ground meat
1 cup onion
2 TBSP butter
2 cans tomato soup
2 cups water
2 TBSP chili powder
(we used chipotle powder and less of it. we were out of regular chili powder and realized so too late)
1 tsp paprika
3 TBSP flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
2 TBSP mustard
4 TBSP war sauce
(that is how it was listed on the recipe. what do you call worcestershire sauce?)
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
5 dash tabasco


browning the meat


meat draining


it didn't say so, but we cooked the onions and the butter for a few minutes before adding everything else 


bubbling away


What we didn't take was a picture of the chili cheese fries we made!
They were pretty AND pretty tasty!

The cloves give it a flavor that stands it apart from other hot dog sauce recipes you have had.
(or at least that I have had)

We made our chili cheese fries the night we made this. **Ok, OK!! I was working, Jim made the recipe AND took the pictures. I ate the chili and am writing the post!** And we froze the rest in a couple sour cream containers for later consumption. Yep, it makes enough to go around!

Please go to this post and offer your opinion on what to name the posts about all these wonderful treasures!

Hugs
Jen

Linking up here:

Fridays Unfolded

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...